A few advices
Many friends ask us how we select pet sitters. Discussing with pet owners on forums, who have much more experience than we do, we are aware of how important is trust.
Transparent communication before committing is the best way to be sure we're able to give the pet needs and fulfill our commitment. And to be happy ourselves.
That's why being now pet sitters as well, we always
- respect all owners rules and animals routine, whatever different from ours they could be
- keep them informed whatever happens in their home
- send them as many pictures and mails as they want
- never use their food and beverages unless we are asked to do so
- leave their home tidy, their garden or plants watered, their pool clean
- age of pets (young, mature), breed and weight
- amount of pets (without forgetting any)
- pet's health (disabled, deaf, blind, under medication ?)
- pet's attitude, indoors and outdoors (calm, turbulent, scary, agressive, dangerous with children, pedestrians, cyclists, other animals)
- pet's routine (amount of meals per day, amount of walks, duration, where and when : in the owner's garden/park, outside, on lead or off ?)
- vet's information (adress, telephone, mail.
Who will pay ? Has the owner an account ??)
- how to get to the clinic (public transportation, taxi ?)
- emergency infos (where is the spare key. Telephones of help, relatives, neigbours, artisans etc.)
- types of responsabilities apart from pets ( collecting mail,watering or mowing garden, pool etc.)
- is it easy to park around ? (free ? If not, public ? private ? how much per day ?)
- did you fill up the THS home book ? (if not, don't be surprised I send a request to get it)
- shall I have some space for my clothes (at least one empty drawer, a few hangers, I dislike to keep them folded in a suitcase)
- are there any cameras (outside ? inside ?)
- do you expect artisans, workers while I'll be there ?
- do you have a help ? Has she the keys, when does she come ? (Daily, weekly ? How long ? Do I need to stay while she works ?)